Zoophobia Comic Forum

A place where fans of the webcomic created by Vivienne can discuss and share their own works while enjoying themselves.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The New Guy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ninjapacman

ninjapacman

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 9:41 pm

<------- Can you believe this guy? Look at him! He's NEW! He might need to know some stuff. He'll also probably get information wrong and even ask stupid questions. Please bear with him. He does seem to have a sense of humor though, so watch out.

Alright, in all seriousness I was drawn by the art style in the characters. I am fascinated by the fact that she has planned out the characters so deeply, even ones that have yet to appear in the comic itself. I know it recently started updating again, and I would like to find out more about these characters. When I was reading through the currently posted pages, my brother and I made voices for all the characters. When we watched the headcanon voices videos, we were surprised to find that many of the voices did not match the speaking style of the character in the text. A lot of them had very specific written accents that were ignored in the video. Since I have a wide vocal range and have been looking into voice acting, I was disappointed by this and would like to find out more or offer suggestions.

tl;dr
I know starting out with criticism is bad, but I wish to offer support to the author and help make the comic better. Other than that, I am actually a sociable person and look forward to interacting with all of you.
Back to top Go down
LordCrump

LordCrump

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Compared to most of the people who've been following Viv's work, I'm pretty new too, but this community is overwhelmingly positive and happy to help people compared to any others that I've been part of.  Don't be afraid to ask questions!  
Your criticism of the voices is really interesting, and I was caught off guard personally by some of them, but I'm curious to hear your analysis.  Cameron's voice in particular is the one that sticks out in my head as being surprising to me, since I have a hard time making it fit her speech as written.
Back to top Go down
http://be3n2.tumblr.com
ninjapacman

ninjapacman

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 10:03 pm

Actually, Cameron had one of the voices I found to be spot-on. One that really struck me was Carrie. She's written with a hillbilly/country accent, and her look supports it, but her voice in the video was possibly as far from that as possible.
Back to top Go down
Amalgam

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Hello there, and welcome!  I too was ensnared by Viv's amazing and beautiful art and lovingly crafted characters.  ...That probably goes for most of us here, so you're in good company.

Ahh, the headcanon voice video. That had some surprises for me too when I found it.  It's interesting that you picked out Carrie's voice, because it didn't fit the one in my head at all either.  I had originally imagined her sounding pretty cranky, since it seemed to fit her dialogue and personality. Damian's really caught me off guard too. I thought Cameron's was... close enough.
Back to top Go down
ninjapacman

ninjapacman

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Damian was always a more deep and rough voice for me, way unlike the video.  Something truly demonic that wouldn't fit his body, but would fit his words quite well.  Another two I didn't much appreciate were Alonzo and Jackie.  Their accents should have been switched. And for Zill I always imagined a Boston accent for some reason.
Back to top Go down
LordCrump

LordCrump

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 4:55 am

Weirdly enough I thought Damian's was perfect. And Viv had mentioned Zill having a hispanic accent in the past, so that made sense to me. I don't really remember how Carrie sounded in the video, I'll have to rewatch it - wasn't she singing? It makes sense she'd lose some of her regional accent while singing.
Back to top Go down
http://be3n2.tumblr.com
ninjapacman

ninjapacman

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Frankly, with how new I am, I haven't seen much of her non-youtube-or-webcomic content, so as for what she says there, I have no idea. As for the singing, everyone was singing in the video, which I believe severely limited her options. If she could take audio from other things, that would give her a far bigger range of options that may include something she likes even better, or something that fits well with the characters. I'm not saying some of them shouldn't be singing, but definitely not all of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The New Guy Empty
PostSubject: Re: The New Guy   The New Guy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Guy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zoophobia Comic Forum :: Community :: Introductions-
Jump to: